Here we go.

31 December 2008

In high school, I made the mistake of showing interest in one of my best friend's dad's hobby. "I grow orchids." "Cool, Mr. Fleming!" "Want to go see them?" "I...er..uh..sure." "Daaaaaaad!" (That was my friend, being all embarrassed.) Anyway, he led us to his greenhouse and showed us all kinds of really beautiful, exotic plants and flowers. It was really impressive! He had birds in there, too. Like parrots. HOWEVER, he failed to mention that he also hatched thousands of praying mantids in there. They were everywhere, including on me! I scream, you scream, we all scream for no-uh-uh! Apparently, they are effective for pest control, eating everything, including each other. They come in all sizes -- the biggest one had to have been at least 3". SHUDDER.

It took me awhile to get over it, but I love the praying mantis now. As long as they don't touch me and stay outside, we can live together harmoniously. I think it's cute how they turn their heads and totally stare at you. And sometimes, they swat at you as you walk by, very much like a cat. I once considered having one for a pet, but then I read up on them. Here are some factoids that helped me change my mind:

The mantid is generally from 3-4 inches in length depending on the gender, but some of the 1,800 or so types of praying mantid can be up to 12 inches long. (12"!!!)

Most scientists agree that praying mantids are closely related to the grasshopper, cockroach and other stick-type insects. (Will a mantis eat a roach or have a family reunion with it? [Sorry, bad dad joke.])

With an enormous appetite they have been known to eat up to 16 crickets per day and consume over 21 different species of insects. An amazing number of people also keep the mantid as a pet. They can be quite fun to watch and are quite active, especially when they are young. They can be kept together, but require lots of space and food and will eat each other if they are properly fed. It is best to seperate them as they get older. Praying mantis will not bite, but they will pinch if handled. ( I just don't know if I can handle coming home and finding a mantis on top of a pile of dead mantid bodies with her little arms held up over her head in victory. )

The praying mantis will also fly as an adult. (Don't want.)

I have a natural, healthy fear & respect for insects. Bees. Ants. They are born, they work for a common purpose, and then they die. That's it! They aren't going to let me or you get in the way of that!
It is why I FEAR ANTS.

No comments:

Blog Archive